Saturday, June 28, 2014

Tell Me Lies

Hide me away. Tuck me in a safe little corner where the monsters can't find me. Tell me that if I close my eyes then I am invisible, and not a thing can harm me. Hold me in your arms and promise me that the shadows won't consume me. Make me laugh and smile and assure me that as long as I do the tears and pain won't find a way towards me. Feed me a mountain of lies and let it hide reality from my sight. Let the feeble lies shine so bright they blind me from everything that is true.

Look into my eyes and see how bare and broken my soul is. I promise I will try with everything that is left in me to let you see what it truly looks like. Strip away my outsides, pull away the shell, the little pieces of hard metal and unyielding rock. Scrape them off the skin they are stuck to, and peel off the masks that became a part of the bones. Get those hundreds of layers out of the way and tend to the creature that I am underneath. Rock me gently to sleep and promise me that as long as I keep the shields away the nightmares won't come near me.

Tell me everything will be alright. Say it over and over again. Yell it at me as loud as you can until your voice drowns out the endless noise that surrounds me. I promise to try to let you say it, I promise to try to believe you when you shout. Comfort me as you would a child. Tell me empty words that won't make a difference, and make me promises that you can't keep. Hold me as I cry and don't try to make me stop. Tell me that you will never leave. Promise me to be my constant in an ocean that is anything but. Tell me to break down, and promise me that you will hold all my pieces and keep them whole and safe for me.

Make me a child that can hide and believe the troubles won't find them. Reverse the clock and undo my adulthood. Take that horrid thing called being a grown up away from me, and throw it far enough that I can never find it. Do the impossible. Hide me from my responsibility. Tuck me in a safe little corner where I no longer have to fight. Tell me that if I close my eyes then I am invisible, and invisible people are allowed to give up. Hold me in your arms and promise to keep me safe from everything,  most importantly myself. 

No comments:

Post a Comment