Wednesday, June 18, 2014

In The End

I wrapped my body around his leg, holding on with all my strength. I didn't care that I was being childish. I couldn't bring myself to care how silly I looked. I couldn't bring myself to care that I was forcing myself on him. I held on with arms and legs, and I closed my eyes and willed reality to not be real. I willed the goodbye away, I willed the ending away.

He tried to pry me loose. He tried to talk me into letting go. He told me how it was for the best, how we would both be better off without each other. He said it would never work. He said it didn't matter how long I held on, eventually my strength would waver and he would shake me off and walk away. He said I was delaying the inevitable. He said I should just let go and let things take their course.

I held on through all his words. Through the nice ones and the harsh ones. Through the tenderness and the yelling. I held on with all my might and believed with every fiber of my being that if he would just accept that we were destined for each other, then everything would be fixed. I held on as he tried to shake me off. I held on as he began hurting me to get me off of him. I kept holding on.

But he was right. Time passed and my muscles began to ache. I held on through the pain of it, but eventually my grip loosened. My hold wavered. My shaky arms and legs began to ease off of him. He pushed me away from his leg harshly. He shook his leg like he was happy to have gotten rid of me. And he limped away without a backward glance.

In the end all my effort was wasted. In the end I had only hurt myself by holding on for so long. In the end I was left bruised, shaking and hurting, and he just walked away without harm. In the end he was ok, and I was not. 

No comments:

Post a Comment