Wednesday, March 5, 2014

I Lost Again

I lie in bed surrounded by peaceful darkness, but the inside of my mind is anything but peaceful. Time passes by, painfully slow, and I watch as the world slowly winds down, all those awake voices slowly dying out until the silence is alive with whispers of deep breaths. Everything and everyone around me falls into an effortless sleep, and I stay awake, watching and listening. As always, that first brush of slumber manages to elude me, not caring that I was the first to invite it in.

The very Earth begins to snore, a new instrument joining the symphony of deep breathing and dreams, and that is my cue, my signal to let out a labored, pained sigh. I rise from my bed and begin my preparations, sliding my armors in place and holding my choice of weapons. I stand there dressed for my eternal battle, awaiting my opponent, my own personal monster to appear.

"Where are you?" I yell impatiently, "Are you afraid tonight might be the night I beat you?"

I fall silent, waiting for a response that comes in the form of a dark, chilling chuckle that raises the hair on the back of my neck, and covers my flesh in tiny little bumps. I tighten my hold on my weapons as Insomnia appears, and I am once again face to face with a malicious grin plastered on a face too bright to be seen, ready to keep me from the shore of Sleep.

He gives another evil laugh, and then he strikes and the battle begins. My skill level is no longer up to par with his. My mind was once canny and sharp, but the endless fighting has taken its toll and now my reflexes are sluggish and slow. My limbs are loose and frail, my eyes itch and burn, my head is heavy and pained -my entire body is weak and falling apart. But I am cursed, and curses don't lift because you are tired, and so I must fight through the dwindling of my flame and hope against despair that I find victory.

More and more time passes, and I am left with nothing but strength of will and soul to spur me on. My mind gives up and begins its favorite chant of despair; it urges me to give in and stop this torturous battle. I suddenly find myself fighting two foes, one from without and one from within. I desperately cling to my will, I try to clear the mist and fog my mind has wrought up and blow it all away with sheer resolve but it is unyielding.

I am lost in a storm of hazy emotions, my mind and body fight against me, my will slowly loses its spark and time aligns itself with the rest of the army trying to knock me off my feet. I fight a battle I am doomed to lose even though by all rights I have already lost, but I fight nonetheless and I keep fighting and I will keep fighting until I can't fight anymore.

The first rays of the sun appear, my heart sinks and Insomnia laughs victoriously. The sun lends him strength, and he pushes me farther and farther away from Sleep. With one last strike I fall to my knees, and I am defeated once more. I stare at the treacherous sun with dry eyes, too used to losing to shed any tears. Insomnia retreats to his hide out, the sun burns me with its heat and I fall to the ground, sinking into a restless fake sleep. Tonight, I lost again. 

No comments:

Post a Comment