Wednesday, October 22, 2014

The Tale of the Awkward Girl

I knocked the door, my mind all lost. Come in, a voice said and I pushed the door open and in I walked, holding my plate for dear, dear life.

They all smiled in welcome, and I felt my mind slowly contract. It hissed at the strangers, and shied into the furthest corners of my skull.

My smile stayed in place as I handed them the plate. I began my slow retreat, but then came the words that threw my poker face to my feet.

Come in, stay, sit with us -they all said. My hiding brain panicked, and shut down all at once. My smile became forced, and my eyes filled with fright.

I tried to find the words to say no, but my brain was gone and I found no words. I mumbled some letters, but stopped at the shocking sight of my hand on my stomach.

I yelled at my brain to come back, I pleaded for small talk or a question perhaps. My panic grew as they all stared, they asked where I'm from and my answer was barely heard.

Then it came, my brain sent a burst down to my lips and I found myself asking the lamest of all questions. They answered in good humor, and I backed towards the door.

My heart was pounding, my breathing was odd. I shuffled my feet, mumbling and muttering my retreat. Out the door I went, and nearly ran to my room.

I hid behind my locked door, and laughed at myself. I'd forgotten how asocial I could get, and how awkward I can act. I laughed in good nature, not embarrassed at all.

In the end I had done a good deed, I'd given them a plate and a story to tell. They could all share the tale of the awkward girl, standing at their door with her arm around herself. 

No comments:

Post a Comment